*This review contains fabric that was gifted as part of a paid partnership. This is not part of the ad and I wasn’t asked to post about it. All opinions are honest and my own.
For years I have been thinking I need a trench coat. Something stylish to wear when it’s that in-between weather that we have so much of in the UK. I’m not sure why it took so long for me to make one but when I saw this houndstooth wool from The New Craft House I knew what it was destined to be.
I chose to make the Sew Over It Anna coat as the fabric is quite lightweight so I wanted something that would look good with a drape. It isn’t a lined pattern so I drafted a lining for it myself to make it a little warmer. I’ll get a blog post up soon detailing exactly how I made the lining pattern and sewed it up.
Main fabric: The New Craft House Houndstooth Wool and Mohair
Lining fabric: The New Craft House Camel Midweight Lining
Label: Sewing is My Selfcare from Pink Coat Club
Pattern: Sew Over It Anna Coat from Work to Weekend ebook
When I ordered the fabric I had thought I’d have to pattern match it but thankfully as the print is so small it doesn’t actually matter so that made things easier. I’d originally intended on making a short version of this coat but when the fabric arrived I realised I had just enough to make it full-length. I had 2.5m of the main fabric and 1.5m of lining so it was a squeeze but we got there.
I made the size 12 with no adjustments to the fit apart from shortening the sleeves slightly. They are still longer than a tailor would say was correct but I like a sleeve that I can curl my hand up in if I get cold. I would usually grade between sizes in Sew Over It patterns but as its a wrap coat this wasn’t necessary. The adjustments I made were to add a lining and an inside pocket. I decided to add a patch pocket using the outer fabric lined with the lining fabric so it would be smooth to put things in and take them out.
I did this by drawing round my phone and adding 2cm in each direction so it wasn’t tight (I don’t carry bags so it’s useful to have pockets big enough for my phone). I cut out this pattern piece once in the lining fabric and once in the main fabric. At this stage I added my label to the outer fabric piece. I then trimmed the lining piece by 1cm at the top and sewed them right sides together. I turned it right sides out and folded down the top twice so the raw edge was concealed. I then treated this like one piece of fabric and topstitched it onto the lining.
The pattern and the main fabric are both great and I would recommend them both but the real star of the show is this lining. It has a great weight to it and sews up really well. It also makes the most delicious swooshing sound when I move which makes me feel like I’m wearing a regency court gown.
The pattern was easy to follow and would be a good first coat pattern as there are no tricky bits like welt pockets. The collar is a little fiddly as it has some sharp corners but by taking it slowly it would be achievable for a confident beginner.
I’m thrilled with how the coat turned out and can’t wait to wear it when the weather is warmer. Hurry up spring!