I’m not really sure why it took me so long to make a Tilly and Buttons Freya top. It was all over Instagram when her book first came out and I saw loads of beautiful versions. I always intended on trying it out but I just didn’t get round to it for a while.
When Minerva.com sent round an email about their new jerseys then I decided it was time to give it a go. If you’d like to read about my first Freya then you can find that post here but this post will be focussing on my second Freya top where I was honing the fit.
Pattern: Tilly and the Buttons Freya top from her book Stretch.
1st top (pink) fabric: cotton jersey from Minerva.com
1st top size: 3
2nd top fabric: organic cotton jersey from Like Sew Amazing
2nd top size: 3 (with 1cm seam allowance down sides
The making process
I should start this section off by saying I had no issues with the pattern instructions at all. It is a super quick make if you are used to working with jersey. I think would be a great first pattern if you are wanting to try out stretch fabrics as it is simple construction and you can use a cotton jersey which is easier to use than viscose jersey.
The main issue I had with my first Freya was it was a small bit snug. I also found the shoulder seams sat too far in. This is an unusual problem for me as I usually have to take shoulders in. I had shortened my first one as I always tuck tops in to high waisted jeans or skirts anyway but this one ended up a little too short.
What I changed
As you had to trace this pattern I decided I was too lazy to do this and just did a 1cm seam allowance. Spoiler alert: this is a cheat which isn’t particularly accurate. Despite it being only 2cm larger I find it sits a lot looser than my last one. This is probably something to do with the fabric though as my first fabric isn’t particularly stretchy. I was a bit miffed at first that I now have one too big and one too small but now I actually really like the looser one.
As for the length. I had lengthened it and then somehow managed to lengthen the back bodice twice and not lengthen the front at all… don’t ask how and I have actually no idea! I ended up trimming both to the same length so it’s still too short but by such a small amount it doesn’t matter at all.
It’s a no brainier on this one. I love it and will definitely be making more. I’ll probably try making the size 4 next time with the shoulder adjustment as I think that would fit better than me fudging it. It suits cotton jersey with a bit of body so well that I’ll be on the look out for more fabrics to make into one, and maybe will try the dress next too.