I honestly don’t know where to begin this post. I feel lost, disappointed and dare I say it… betrayed. I’m never usually one for negativity on my blog and I try to see some good in every pattern I make but this one? I would be lying if I said there was anything about it that I’d recommend.
I decided about a month before my dads birthday that I wanted to make his birthday present. It was an obvious choice to make a tie. I mean… they are just a long piece of fabric right? How hard can it be?!
The answer is: very. First off, sourcing silk twill that is reasonably priced and has a nice pattern is impossible. I ended up settling for a dress silk for the outer and lining from John Lewis that was far too fine for purpose but was at least pretty and felt nice. Silk is well known for being a bit of a tricky fabric but oh em gee I was not prepared for how much it would move! I had to cut out the front piece twice as it moved every time I tried to cut.
Once I’d got the hang of sewing with the silk I was merrily sewing away and had attached all the pieces together before pressing the tie. And then… disaster struck… I hadn’t emptied the iron (Cos, it’s not like you’re supposed to be able to use an iron by the time you’re 26 or anything…) and some water spilled out of it, completely ruining the front tie piece.
I was just about ready to throw in the towel at that point but I forced myself to unpick it and bake some brownies to make myself feel better. (Said brownies were delicious btw).
The next day I started again and sewed it up to the same point with minimal swearing. Here I hit another hurdle as the domette piece was too big for the seam allowances you were supposed to use to slipstitch the tie around it. I had to shave it down and use a smaller seam allowance, even then I ended up with it bunching up in places where the domette was still too big.
I could have juuust about dealt with that but when I finished the tie I realised it’s a good few inches shorter than normal ties so there is no way it is wearable.
This project was a disaster from start and there is no way I would recommend this tie pattern to anyone. I did get the chance to practice my slipstitch though, so there’s a positive. For anyone wanting to make a tie, I have been recommended the one on Free Sewing Org.
As for me… I’ll be retreating swiftly into the comfort of dressmaking and not making another tie until this one is a distant memory.